Saturday 17 January 2015

Circular No 689



 

 



Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 17 January 2015 No. 689

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Sorry to say that last year I had more well-wishing cards than this year.

Of course we have lost some members, and the group has lost momentum.

After over ten years there are no new, lost, forgotten tales, and Alzheimer is overtaking us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nigel Boos

Hans,

I’m just jumping in here to try to give you the information you asked about:

This list might be faulty, and if it is, and if your memory gets jogged, perhaps you might send me a note so I can make the corrections.

Nigel Boos

Ajax, Ontario,   Canada

56
Ames, Peter
peterames@hotmail.com
56
Bain, David
bainven@cantv.net
56
Correia, Michael
moc6711@yahoo.com
56
D'Ornellas, Leslie
j_dornellas@yahoo.ca
56
Henderson, Christopher
ccjhenderson@yahoo.co.uk
56
Hutton, Benedict
benhel@bellsouth.net
56
Lopes, Benedict
benedictlopes@sympatico.ca
56
Lucky, Anthony
celandaal@hotmail.com
56
Hermans, Hans
hjhermans@verizon.net
57
Ames, David
davidames1@suddenlink.net
57
Diaz, Garnet
garnetdiaz@gmail.com
57
Farcheg, Elias
farchegelias@hotmail.com
57
Jakobszen, Csaba
csabajakobszen@yahoo.es
57
Koenraadt, Gerard
koen@sr.net
57
Vieira, Terry John
NO EMAIL
58
Atela, Azier
azieatel102@cantv.net
58
Bodington, Roberto
cbodington@cantv.net
58
Boos, Anthony
Anthonyboos@hotmail.com
58
Castro, Lorenzo Maximiliano
Lctelca@cantv.net
58
Castro, Pedro
elmagodecamelot@hotmail.com
58
Castro, Reinaldo
reinaldocastro38@yahoo.com



58
de Verteuil, Ian
irdev@shaw.ca
58
de Verteuil, Robert
bobdev@tstt.net.tt
58
Dumas, Robert George
robd46@gmail.com
58
Farcheg, Dr. Isaias
farchegisaias@gmail.com
58
Figuera, Ricardo Horta
rfihor@cantv.net
58
Gabriel, Norman
norman@normangabrielLtd.com
58
Goddard, Brian
bgcaribajan@live.com
58
Goddard, Donald
dgodda1@lsu.edu
58
Henderson, Gary
birdman268@yahoo.com
58
Johnson, David
davidwendy@ozemail.com
58
Lange, Esmond
esfran@poppie.com.au
58
Laughlin, Ivan
ivan.laughlin@hotmail.com
58
Lipavsky, Roberto
jurislipavsky@cantv.net
58
Mew, Tim
tim-mew@bigpond.com
58
Paula, Alejandro
bjorn2007Paula@hotmail.com
58
Thavenot, Gordon
gthavenot@gmail.com
58
von Fedak, Urbano
urbanovonfedak@gmail.com
58
Xavier, Arthur
arthurxavierusa@aol.com
58
Xavier, Geoffrey
geoffxavier@hotmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On Nov 10, 2014, at 8:13 AM,

Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sir Anthony,

Nice to read this, two brothers connecting for the first time since 1956, 58 years ago is when you and your classmate last saw each other, just great Ha! Ha!

You just never know who can show up from the past eh? Ha! Ha!

Yuh Honour, just for the record, I was born in 1956. ha! ha!  

Cheers Glen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From:  celandaal@hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:00:29 +0000

Hola Amigo,

I received the appended from Hans Herman whom I knew in my days at Abbey School 1950 – 1956, last time I saw him was in 1956 (before you were born!) In reality I am old.

Kind regards

Anthony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: hjhermans@verizon.net

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:48:23 -0500

Hello,

I believe the correct title is Sir Anthony. (This from Ladislao’s recent circular which has a picture of your daughter)

The name Anthony Lucky struck a bell. I believe we attended the Abbey school at the same time in 1954-56. In fact, if my memory is not totally eroded, we were in the same form. You were, I believe, one of the eight who graduated with me. (I’m assuming that we all graduated!)  Chris Henderson might have been one year behind? Don’t know if I have the right person, and if you remember ‘duchy’ the football team’s goalie? Regardless, I extend my greetings from the Philadelphia area where I have lived since about 1978 after getting my PhD from the University of Notre Dame and teaching there for a short while. I might be imagining things, but it seems that your daughter looks a lot like you from what I remember.

Once more, greetings from a former classmate.

Hans Hermans

p.s. I do not recall our fellow classmates clearly. If you do, I would appreciate their names.

----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Dear Ladislao,

I was SO inspired by your latest Circular No. 46 and reading the story by Robert Huggins ... you know .... he described IN A VERY PRECISE MANNER how we all feel about the long lasting marks The Abbey School of Mt. St. Benedict left in all of us ... deep in our hearts ... .

I remember how we use to complain all the time ... "Gosh ... this is jail man ... " ... The food stinks ... it's terrible" .... "All the Fathers are dictators" .. and so forth ... but the truth is that we ALL miss those days ...any of us would give anything just to go back to one normal mount day .... just for one day .... wouldn't we ????

.. I know I would ... any time ..

The Music .. I remember how much I admired John Abraham and Jeremy with their band "The Interpreters" ... They were The Mount Musical Band ... The Mount Boys Band ... they used to play a lot of calypso songs and instrumentals from The Shadows who were very famous at the time ... somehow parallel to era of The Beatles who came up with their revolutionary "rock with voice harmonies" ....which was a "revelation" compared with the unison rock of Elvis Presley, Little Richard and all those. I used to sit and listen to The Interpreters in their Mount Hall backstage rehearsals... I remember a guy by the name of Ferreira who use to sing.... I envied them so much that I would give anything to become a part of that band ... one day I remember that I started to give my opinions ... and that really "pissed" John ...he told me to GET OUT !!!! .... with time John and I became great friends ....I started to learn how to play the guitar ...Jeremy was my informal professor .. I bought a cheap guitar in down town Port of Spain ... and I didn't have the slightest idea of how to form a chord ... but Jeremy taught me ... I will always thank him for that .... with time... Norman Smith (The Interpreters bass player) left the band for some reason and I picked up the bass guitar which became my passion .... I will always remember the day I spent at John Abraham's home in Port of Spain ... he invited me to practice his songs and after I was playing for some time he softly said .... "boy ... you are good!" ... MY GOD THAT WAS A REVELATION TO ME !!!! ... I was earning the respect and recognition from the person I so much admired ... and respected .... and we had some "Kalaloo" .... "it's missing the crab though" ... John said ... that was the first time in my life I had "Kalaloo" ... didn't like it much .. but I ate it !!! ...I preferred Roti ...

Then afterwards ... as I have said in past reports ... I formed the Band "Chains" .... playing Beatles ... with Norman Smith who took the Rhythm Guitar ... My brother Gustavo (they use to call him "small CheChe") ... he played a VOX 12 string guitar which John Abraham loved .... (I still have it up in my room) ... and Enrique Gomez (Departamento de Tira-Coñazos)... played the drums .... and we made a presentation at the Mount's Hall and it was WILD !!!! ... It was great ..we became very popular among a group of friends in Port of Spain ... for sometime ... we also played at St. Joseph's Convent (girls’ school in Port of Spain) ... boy... we felt like stars !!!! .... girls were nice !!!! .... AND ... we came to Caracas ... and we were the first Rock Group that played at La Casona ... The Venezuelan Presidential Residence ... CHAINS !!!! ... a Mount Boy's Rock Group ... Venezuelan Mount Boys ... we were invited by Raul Leoni's son (Raul) who was also a Mount Boy at the time ... to celebrate Menca de Leoni's birthday .... I will never forget that ... how can one ever forget ???? ... we were in heaven ...

The Basketball .... I became .. with a lot of effort ... a member of Abbey's A Team ... I remember Harry Laughlin ... great player !!!! ... good guy ...

Our walks to White Stones .. digging out spiders and putting them to fight .... tarantulas .... the Scout Trips ... walking ... to Maracas Bay .... I don't remember the name of our Coach ... he was our guide ... that was the first time I ate Baby Shark .... our guide prepared it .. with curry ... I remember that bad night we had ... sleeping on the sand ... it was raining ...

Just last night I was at a friend's house and I met a guy from Trinidad ... Jimmy Brennan ... he is the General Manager for Venezuela for Tucker Services (and Oil Service Co.) ... the "Tuckers" are all Trinidadians .. they now live in Texas .... and I told them about my days in Mount and we had a great talk .. he also started remembering his good times in Trinidad ... I have in fact met lots of people from Trinidad over the years ... all the time ...as an International Lawyer in my practice in the Oil Industry ... and I have a great time with all of them ... I even met a group once at an Opus Day Retreat near Caracas ... and we played Calypsos ... I picked a guitar and played a calypso (RinTinTin) I remembered from The Merrymen (A group from Barbados) I wonder if it still exists ... I guess not ... they were really good ... they played "Yesterday" (Beatles) but with calypso tempo .. it was great ... when I went to England to continue my studies I played "Yesterday" as a calypso and the Brits just would not believe it !!! HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rin Tin Tin ...

Everybody hear this tin ...

Ma' galfriend promis' to gimme sometin...

and the bells won't ring ...

and the birds won't sing...

'caus she promis' to gimme some tin tin tin

Ev'ry year is the same tin ...

all she do is promissin ...

well she promise me a house and a motor car ...

Ev'ry year is the same tin ..

all you do is promissin gal ...

bu' so help me God I'm gonna catch yu 'dis carnival !!!

Yes !!! ... Yes !!! ... That's Mount St. Benedict ... AND WE ARE ALL BLESSED for ever being a part of that "jail" .... it was heaven !!!! .... but it's only now that we realize it ... so please extend my best regards to Robert and convey to him my best feelings .... he has made me "revive" my best times .... and I still have sooooo many more memories ... it's incredible .... how important can a life experience be ....

God Bless Mount !!!! ... for ever !!!! ... and The Mount Boys of whom I feel so proud to be a part of .... and I feel so proud of Trinidad ... their people ... I still have so many friends from there ... I have to go back one day !!!! .... HOPEFULLY NEXT YEAR .. FOR THE MOUNT BOYS GATHERING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Please Ladislao ... tell all how much I love them and miss them ....

The being a Mount Boy ... is an old experience transformed into a culture ... almost a philosophy about life ...

BLESSINGS TO ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rafael Echeverría (CheChe)

------------------------------------------------------------------.

Photos:

Bandit p12b The Early Times

13AL2049ALU, Anthony Lucky

61IF0022IFAUFE, Isaias farcheg and Urbano de Fedak

58RB00011a13, UNKNOWN

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.